The mission of the Nursery is to serve the church and the local community by providing a welcoming, safe, loving, and nurturing environment that promotes and shares the love of Christ through curriculum, play, and creative expression.
On Sunday mornings childcare is provided during all church services, from 8:15am – 12:45pm.
The Nursery is a safe place on our campus where children are cared for while their parents are involved in worship and other activities. All of our nursery staff are equipped with training to properly care for infants and toddlers, and are all CPR and First Aid certified by the American Heart Association.
Kids Play Day
Thursday mornings from 9:00am – 1:00pm.
Kids Play Day is an opportunity for parents to leave their children at the Nursery and get some needed free time. We care for your children and introduce them to Jesus through music, stories, and crafts. KPD is for children under the age of 4 and not currently attending preschool. The cost is $35 per day and payment is due monthly. Please bring a lunch and anything else your child may need. To sign up, please contact the Nursery Coordinator by phone or by email.
The Nursery is located between the Labaig Street entrance and Crossley Theater, across from Mears Center and the playground.
Contact Karina Recinos, Nursery Coordinator, at (323) 606-5282.
We Value Children
Our Purpose: To serve as a resource to children and their families for building community, supporting family life, and cultivating relationship with Jesus Christ.
Our Vision: To welcome all children and families into a faith community that encourages each person to grow in their identity as a follower of Jesus Christ and member of His Church.
Sunday Morning Programs
8:15am and 11am
8:15am: Nursery Opens
(Ages 3 months – 2 years)
Please Note: During the 8:30 service, we welcome children up to age 4.
9:15 – 10:45am: Sunday School for All Ages
(Extended Care for the 11am Worship service begins at 10:45.)
Developmentally appropriate classrooms are available for all ages during church-wide Sunday School. What follows is a description of class location, ages, and drop-off instructions for Early Childhood thru 6th grade.
- Nursery – For children 3 months – 2 years. Located on the 1st Floor of the CE Building, near the playground, Mears Center, and Crossley Theatre. Nursery remains open through the 11am worship service.
- Orange Room – For children who are 2 & 3 years old as of September 1, 2019. Located on the 2nd Floor of the Preschool Building on the NE corner of campus. This room remains open through the 11am worship service.
- Green Room – For children in Pre-K & Kindergarten (4 & 5 as of September 1, 2019). Located on the 2nd Floor of the Preschool Building on the NE corner of campus, right next to our Children’s Library! Any Kindergarten children who would like to participate in Sonshine Choir (K-2 choir) may be signed-in & dropped off in the 1st & 2nd grade room at 9:15; volunteers will transfer Kindergarten children to the Green room at 9:55. This room remains open through the 11am worship service.
- 1st & 2nd Grade Room – Located on the east side of the 2nd floor of the CE Building; entrance through the gate between the CE Building and the Preschool building. 1st & 2nd grade children participate in Sonshine Choir from 9:15-9:55 in this room, and then transition into Bible teaching with their Sunday School teachers in the same room. Sign-in and pick-up are in this room; children must be picked up by 10:45.
- 3rd Grade Room – Located in the middle of the 2nd floor of the CE Building; entrance through the gate between the CE Building and the Preschool building. 3rd Grade children begin the morning (and are signed-in) in the 4th grade room for Carol Choir (3rd-6th grade choir); volunteers transition 3rd graders to the 3rd grade room at 9:55; children must be picked up from the 3rd grade room by 10:45.
- 4th Grade Room – Located on the west side of the 2nd floor of the CE Building; entrance through the gate between the CE Building and the Preschool building. 4th grade children participate in Carol Choir from 9:15-9:55 in this room, and then transition into Bible teaching with their Sunday School teachers in the same room. Sign-in and pick-up are in this room; children must be picked up by 10:45.
- David Schall Theatre – 5th & 6th grade children sign-in and begin their morning in the 4th Grade room for Carol Choir at 9:15. Volunteers transition 5th & 6th graders to David Schall Theatre – located in the Lower Terrace across from Mears Center – at 9:55. Children must be picked up by 10:45.
10:45 – 12:15pm: Extended Sunday School for Early Childhood (2-5)
Classrooms are the same as above.
Please note: All children are welcome in corporate worship. Parents of early childhood children should feel free to take their children to worship with them and can then take children to class after the children’s time. Children may also stay in their classroom from 9:15 thru the 11am service if this is preferable for families.
10:45 – 11:30am: Children in Sanctuary
11:30 – 12:30pm: Children’s Church for K-4
This is not Sunday School. Children’s Church is a developmentally appropriate way for young elementary children to practice the skills they need for corporate worship. Children meet volunteers in the Rose Garden part-way through the service. We play, sing fun songs, hear a lesson, give offering, say creeds, sing the doxology, learn the books of the Bible, and more! On the 1st Sunday of the month, children return to worship so that they might participate in communion with their families. Parents are asked to pick up in the Narthex before communion on 1st Sundays. The rest of the month, parents can pick up children in the 3rd grade room as soon as the worship service concludes. Please note that this option is not developmentally appropriate for children under the age of 5. Parents are asked to walk younger children to their age-specific class.
12:45pm: Nursery Closes
Vacation Bible School
This fun, week-long adventure in song, Bible stories, and all kinds of fun activities is an every-other-year tradition at FPCH, taking place on even-numbered years. Adult and teen volunteers guide children in Pre-K thru 6th grade in activities that explore the heart of God and the meaning of Scripture. Watch for information and registration on the News & Events page.
Do you have children in 2nd – 5th grades? You can register them for summer camp! We love attending children’s camps at Forest Home in the San Bernardino Mountains each summer, and we’d love for your children to come discover the love of Christ surrounded by forest, mountains, streams, lakes, and amazing counselors! Registration begins in late winter and continues until all camper spaces are full. Cost and registration information can be obtained by emailing Courtney Rominger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Christmas Craft Night
This fun family tradition takes place on the first Friday of December from 6:50-8:30 in Mears Center. All are welcome to come and make crafts, hear the Christmas Story, sing carols, and eat cookies. Families are asked to bring a plate of cookies to share with everyone. While there is no registration or ticket required for this event, a goodwill donation is taken during the evening to benefit an FPCH missionary.
Spring Wing Ding
Join us for one of the most fun events of the year! This spring carnival and silent auction is an open community event featuring games, prizes, a petting zoo, and more! The silent auction takes place inside Mears Center and is the primary fundraiser for the church’s preschool.
Family Dinners on the Playground
While these typically take place during the summer, you can watch for them year-round on the News & Events page! We feed you dinner for $2 a plate and your family gets to hang out on our fabulous playground. It’s an inexpensive way to meet new friends and tire out the kids.
This interactive class is designed to teach 2nd-6th graders and their parents/caregivers about the how, what, why, and when of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper (Communion). While all children are welcome to take part in the Lord’s Supper, we highly encourage parents to participate in this class with their children at some point. Watch the News & Events page for scheduling of this yearly opportunity.
Parent & Caregiver Workshops
We believe that caring for children is one of the most important jobs and we want to equip parents and caregivers to do it well! Watch the News & Events page for intentional workshops for every stage of parenting.
We love our volunteers – our programs truly wouldn’t happen without them! That’s why we plan several trainings each year – the first of which takes place the Saturday before Kick-Off Sunday. Trainings help guide volunteers through the Biblical heart of teaching and caring for children, the practical tools of developmentally appropriate teaching, and standard procedures of caring for families and young children. Staff are also available throughout the year to work with smaller teams or individual volunteers to help meet the needs of their classroom.
The Children’s Center
Hollywood Presbyterian Children’s Center is a ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood, which serves the Hollywood community and the surrounding area. We are a community of Early Childhood Professionals committed to providing an early childhood education program that fosters the spiritual, social, emotional, intellectual and physical growth of a child in a Christian environment that is nurturing, stimulating and safe. Our primary goals are to support the development of all children, to encourage young children to take responsibility for their actions and to respect others.